This 2-disc 7” set follows on from the successful Volume 1 release earlier this year. The 16-page booklet features great photographs and contains the In and Outttakes section for both releases. Sounding better than ANYTHING that’s’ gone before, the original masters including studio banter have been NEWLY REMIXED from the original multi tracks. Elvis at his best on RCA and Follow That Dream Records.
“CAFÉ EUROPA – G.I BLUES VOL.2” (2CD)
01) Didja' Ever (take 2/M) 2:56
02) Doin' The Best I Can (takes 13/M) 3:35
03) G. I. Blues (Take 7/M + pickup takes 8-10/M) 4:44
04) Tonight Is So Right For Love (takes 10-11/M) 4:26
05) What's She Really Like (takes 17-19/M + insert takes 20-22/M) 8:16
06) Blue Suede Shoes (take 1/M) 2:15
07) Wooden Heart (take 4/M) 2:09
08) Shoppin' Around (remake, takes 6-7/M) 2:59
09) Pocketful Of Rainbows (remake, take 2/M) 2:56
10) Frankfort Special (remake, takes 9-10/M) 4:30
11) Tonight’s All Right For Love (take 10/M + insert takes 1-2/M) 1:03
12) Big Boots (slow version, take 4/M) 1:42
13) Big Boots (slow version, remake, insert takes 1-4/M) 2:50
14) Shoppin’ Around (version #1, takes 6-10) 5:03
15) Doin’ The Best I Can (takes 10-12) 4:41
16) G.I. Blues (take 6) 2:49
17) Tonight Is So Right For Love (take 8) 2:31
18) Tonight Is So Right For Love (take 9) 2:31
19) Whistling Blues (Instrumental) 3:26
20) Wooden Heart (Grammafunken Version, instrumental) 1:18
21) Big Boots (fast version, takes 6 & 5) 1:40
22) Pocketful of Rainbows (version #1, takes 11,13 14) 3:24
23) Pocketful of Rainbows (version #1, takes 15-16) 3:42
24) Pocketful of Rainbows (version #1, takes 17) 2:48
01) Pocketful of Rainbows (version 1, takes 18-20) 6:18
02) Pocketful of Rainbows (version 1, takes 21-25) 5:04
03) Pocketful of Rainbows (version 1, takes 26-28) 4:45
04) Big Boots (medium tempo version, take 1) 1:10
05) Shoppin' Around (remake, takes 1-2) 2:47
06) Shoppin' Around (remake, takes 3-5) 3:24
07) Pocketful Of Rainbows (remake, takes 1-3) 4:11
08) Frankfort Special (fast version, takes 9-12/fs + remake takes 1-5) 9:11
09) Frankfort Special (remake, takes 6-8) 5:38
10) Tonight’s All Right For Love (takes 2-5) 4:05
11) Tonight’s All Right For Love (take 6) 1:27
12) Tonight’s All Right For Love (takes 7-8) 2:02
13) Tonight’s All Right For Love (takes 9,11,12) 2:46
14) Tonight’s All Right For Love (takes 14-15) 2:03
15) Tonight’s All Right For Love (takes 16-17) 2:15
16) Big Boots (slow version, remake takes 1-6 + insert take 1) 4:50
17) Tonight’s All Right For Love (“Tales From The Vienna Woods”, instrumental) 2:26
18) Wooden Heart (Grammafunken Version, instrumental) 1:19
19) Whistling Blues (Instrumental) 3:26
I have zero interest in more G.I. Blues outtakes. Pass.
Please, another "G.I. Blues" set? Not again! You didn't get me with the first set and I'm not about to flip for this; sorry FTD!
I love his voice on this, and will buy both albumd together, thanks to "FTD" for giving us so many different products, so everyone has a chance of getting something they like.
It doesn't get any better than this. Vol. 1 is near the top of my fav FTD's. This vol. will be high on the list also. Masters remixed, way to go FTD, a 5 star release.
I'd much rather have this release than another two CD set of outtakes from "Blue Hawaii." lol The sound on the first set was excellent: so, I can't imagine why this one wouldn't be as well. Waiter - one for me please.
I'll say this: I LOVE the cover! I really love using a slightly different picture, from the same photo session, and just slightly different colors and fonts. This is my fav type of cover the FTD does. It looks like it really is an album from 1960. As for the contents, I admit, I am not hugely interested and until I am rolling in money, I can only afford what I consider seriously essential Elvis releases. But the minute I have a "disposable" income again, I'll buy everything with Elvis' face on it :-)
I'm still enjoying the 4 disk, complete Cafe Europa set from 2011 which I purchased on Amazon for less than the cost of one one FTD. Can anyone who has it and the FTD GI Blues release comment on the sound quality difference? Cafe Europa has a really good sound to me.
I never bought the Pirazda bootleg.... so now i look foward to the FTD good sounding version
The 2011 Cafe Europa set has very good sound. I'm curious, however, how it stacks up against the FTD release that's already been issued and the one coming out this Fall.
Well I've done a quick check and unless there's a mistake in this tracklist, then they've managed to leave out What's She Really Like Takes 14 - 16. If they have then that would be a shame as they've got everything else and even a couple of instrumental tracks are featured twice for our enjoyment! Please Ernst, make sure this FS and 2 LFS are on the CDs.
Forget what I just wrote. Just checked on EPFC site and they do indeed have What's She Really Like Takes 14 - 16 listed in the outtakes on CD 1. So the tracklist on here appears to be incomplete. That's a relief, thought I was going to have to hang on to the bootleg.
I bought the complete set already, so I guess I stick to that one. Both pretend to be complete, whilst the first complete one is cheaper than the double set of FTD. Laterly I am more careful in buying as I can't buy everything anyhow. Other versions I try to get copies from friends. I like the FTDs however, so I might purchase their set later on. Soundwise I doubt that the improvements will be audible to my ageing ears!
Not essential but still a worthy addition to my collection. Most of his early 60's recording are a joy to listen to, the sound quality is superb and his voice is close to perfect. Plus he was motivated to prove himself after spending two years in the army. I agree with KingKreole about the cover...
I could listen to the Pocketful Of Rainbows outtakes all day, one of my favourite Elvis songs, wore out my old vinyl.
whetherman: Even with all takes available here it's still not the real thing. I checked Keith Flynn's site and just picked "Pocketful Of Rainbows". After the first 10 takes I found Keith 4 x noting, that I still need the Bootleg because of edited recordings or deleted studio-banter on FTD. Then I stopped checking because as a collector I was disappointed. Ernst will never beat the Bootleggers. Even with the possibilities he has. And after spending many many Euros I realized that if I want to listen to the complete G.I. Blues as a collector .. I don't need FTDs releases or MRS. Instead I still have to go back to my old Tulsa-Records set from 15 years ago. Sad.
edited studio banter? thants part of the charm of outtakes isn't it? oh dear.
circle G, I agree wholeheartedly! Studio banter, when available, should ,imho, always be part of released outtakes. No problem though if someone doesn't like studiobanter, but I do like it for sure. Nevertheless, great release by FTD. Always El.
Does this contain songs from the movie GI Blues?..
I have the Cafe Europa box from Memphis Recording Service and that one sounded pretty good. I've listened to the FTD release and boy this one sounds MUCH better! But i think i'll save my money instead.