Go to main content

Quickpoll

August 20, 2006 | Other
With Elvis week over we can count the votes for last week's Quickpoll. 9 percent of the 150 voters spent Elvis week in Memphis, the other 91 percent remembered Elvis passing at home.

This week we want to know how popular the single disc editions of the "Comeback" and "Aloha" specials are. Let us know if you bought them.

In the shopsection you can find details on these two releases (use link in related links menu).

Related links


Buy at Amazon.co.uk
gilesm wrote on August 20, 2006
I bought both discs even though I already have the 68 and aloha box sets. What struck me was I thought the sound was improved on tha Aloha disc than on the 'delux' box set. Perhaps this was my imagination, but I thought there was better sound seperation of the various parts. Perhaps it waas just my imagination. I must say, was it really worth it ? probably not, but I could not resist them.
panda wrote on August 20, 2006
i have not bought either yet is it worth the money just for a little extra footage i have already got both delux editions and the original video of aloha
The Memphis Flash wrote on August 21, 2006
I have not bought these yet but I am thinking about it. Can you let me know what the additional footage is on these discs?
Deke Rivers 6 wrote on August 22, 2006
Yes , I would like to know what addition's are on the vid please. I have recieved my book G.I. Bues it's very good I like the recording studio pic's the best, & Elvis at the piano.
Theo wrote on August 22, 2006
I voted no. I bought the deluxe versions of both specials a while ago. I might buy the single disc version of the NBC TV Special in the near future, though, since it contains a chapter called "Having Fun With Elvis In Burbank" and an Easter egg containing the three missing takes of It Hurts Me which were left off the deluxe editon by mistake. The only new items on the Aloha single disc seem to be the press conferences and a photogallery. Not interesting enough for me to buy this DVD. Memphis Flash, in the news section of this site you can find two items on the new DVD's (dated June 16, 2006) with detailed info on the content. This was taken from the EPE site.
Steve V wrote on August 22, 2006
I broke down and bought the 68 comeback dvd. I'm not sure I'm happy I did. The having fun with Elvis extra is just snippets of some of the outtakes that are on the deluxe version. So dont buy it for that. I guess I really wanted the expanded version the of TV show with It Hurts Me. I really like to view the show this way, so that was my reason. Quality seems the same to me.
CD King wrote on August 22, 2006
As a Completist Collector I have no choice but to buy them both. I am happy that at least both DVDs have "NEW" CoverArt different to the deluxe box set editions.
JerryNodak wrote on August 23, 2006
First they released the deluxe edition of "Comeback" which was missing It Hurts Me. Now they've released the single disc version which is missing the great Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Baby What you Me To Do jam which followed the Guitar Man/Trouble opening sequence in the original special. Maybe EPE will get it right when they release the Super Duper Extra Special Edition next year. I'm not the least bit interested in any of the easter egg content on either Comeback or Aloha. Years ago an extended directors cut of "Comeback" was released on video tape. Now we've had two different versions released on DVD. None of these versions is the version that aired on NBC back in December '68. Sure wish I had THAT version.
Steve V wrote on August 23, 2006
JerryNodak- You are correct. The editing is terrible. Following the opening Guitar Man segment we go into That's All Right! Lawdy Miss Clawdy MUST follow Guitar Man. For that reason alone, the whole concept is bogus. There are other editing snafus throughout mostly in the sit-down sequences. Songs out of sequence as we know them. Bad job!
joemin wrote on August 23, 2006
These single disc versions are really targetted at the casual fan, or the general public. If people who already have the deluxe versions also buy that would be a bonus. I am delighted that these were released, in particular the 68 Special. The single disc versions are more likely to get into general circulation and are more likely to be seen by more people. The 68 Special is the best advertisement possible for Elvis, but the Aloha has the benefit of protraying the Jumpsuit Elvis in a very positive light also. I am also delighted that the albums are comming out again, hope there is some kind of promotion...
RonBaker wrote on August 26, 2006
I have the three disc sets so I won't be buying these.