Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley and former wife of Michael Jackson, has revealed she contracted mercury poisoning after botched dental work.
Speaking about the illness, she described how she suffered multiple symptoms: "My body started to deteriorate. I started to have panic attacks. One week it was asthma, hypoglycaemia, candida, reflux. I had everything. I wound up in the hospital. I had everything happening -- my body completely fell apart.,There are two commonly recognised forms of mercury poisoning: acute and chronic poisoning."
The first -- which isn't terribly common nowadays -- is thought to be linked to the presence of ulcers in the stomach and with toxic discharges in the kidney. Though not as serious as chronic poisoning, the consequences are scarcely trivial: sufferers may become anaemic and have trouble passing water -- this is because they have developed anuria which means they cannot form urine.
Chronic mercury poisoning, in contrast, can affect an individual in a multiple of ways, all of them serious in the extreme. They may experience diarrhoea, tremors, impaired vision, slowed reflexes and emotional instability. People have been dying from mercury poisoning since the start of recorded history. We can blame mercury for the expression 'mad as a hatter'.
For Lisa Marie, at least, the story has a happy ending. She sought out a homeopathic doctor who told her mercury was leaking from her fillings, causing her to feel unwell. As soon as the fillings were removed, she started to recover. "They try to say mercury is safe," she said. "But it's the second-deadliest poison known to man, underneath plutonium, and it's in people's teeth."
Source: Google / Updated: Jun 25, 2007