The Follow That Dream collectors label announced the release of "Elvis: The Viva Las Vegas Sessions" in September.
From the press-release:
FTD is pleased to announce the release of “Elvis: The Viva Las Vegas Sessions”. This is the ultimate "Viva Las Vegas" 3 CD-set: includes more than an hour of previously unreleased false starts, break downs, and complete takes! All tracks have been recently remixed and mastered from the original 3-track session tapes. The 8”x 8” slipcase replicates an original Session Reel box. The 28-page booklet includes rare photographs, memorabilia, session data, Movie Trivia, Ann-Margret bio by the late Stuart Colman and Movie overview by Alan Hanson. The 3 CDs are housed in a CD carrier adorned by original tape box documentation. This release is a strictly limited edition. Due to manufacturing costs, there will be no reprint.
1. Viva Las Vegas 2:27
2. Yellow Rose Of Texas/ The Eyes Of Texas 2:57
3. The Lady Loves Me 3:46
4. C’mon Everybody 2:21
5. Today, Tomorrow And Forever 3:28
6. The Climb (planned record version - take 3) 2:44
7. What’d I Say 3:06
8. Santa Lucia 1:15
9. If You Think I Don’t Need You 2:07
10. I Need Somebody To Lean On 3:05
11. Night Life 1:52
12. Do The Vega 2:25
13. You’re The Boss 2:49
14. Viva Las Vegas (take 1) 1:48
15. Yellow Rose Of Texas/ The Eyes Of Texas (take 7) 2:59
16. The Lady Loves Me (takes 1-2) 4:14
17. C’mon Everybody (take 3) 2:48
18. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (takes 1-3, 5 & 4) 5:46
19. What’d I Say (takes 1-2) 4:00
20. Santa Lucia (v.o. take 1) 1:23
21. If You Think I Don’t Need You (takes 1-2) 3:16
22. I Need Somebody To Lean On (takes 1-2) 3:30
23. Night Life (take 2) 2:08
24. Do The Vega (take 1) 2:48
25. You’re The Boss (takes 1-3) 3:34
26. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (2012 takes 1-2, duet) 5:45
1. Night Life (takes 1 & 3) 4:09
2. Night Life (takes 4-8) 3:11
3. C’mon Everybody (takes 1-2 & 4-5/M) 4:36
4. If You Think I Don’t Need You (takes 3-7) 5:09
5. I Need Somebody To Lean On (takes 3-5) 3:58
6. I Need Somebody To Lean On (takes 6-8) 4:42
7. Do The Vega (take 2) 2:41
8. Santa Lucia (track, takes 1-2) 1:55
9. Viva Las Vegas (take 2) 2:50
10. The Climb (takes 1-2 & 4-7) 6:43
11. Yellow Rose Of Texas/ The Eyes Of Texas (takes 1-4) 3:58
12. Yellow Rose Of Texas/ The Eyes Of Texas (takes 5-6 & 8-9/M) 5:33
13. The Lady Loves Me (takes 3-6) 4:51
14. You’re The Boss (takes 4-8) 4:42
15. You’re The Boss (takes 9-10) 4:32
16. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (2012 take 6, instrumental) 3:34
17. Santa Lucia (vocal overdub, take 2) 1:20
18. Santa Lucia (vocal overdub, take 3) 1:20
19. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (movie version, vocal overdub 2016 take 8) 2:38
20. What’d I Say (takes 3-4/M) 5:47
1. C’mon Everybody (movie version, take 7 with overdubs) 2:30
2. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (movie version, v.o. take 10, edited) 1:25
3. The Climb (movie version - take 9, edited) 1:38
4. Santa Lucia (v.o. take 6/M, movie version) 1:14
5. Appreciation (Ann-Margret, take 3 & pickup take 2) 4:37
6. My Rival (Ann-Margret) 2:11
7. Night Life (takes 9-10) 2:56
8. Night Life (take 11) 2:10
9. Night Life (takes 12-13) 2:46
10. If You Think I Don’t Need You (takes 8-10) 4:22
11. If You Think I Don’t Need You (takes 11-13/M) 4:15
12. I Need Somebody To Lean On (takes 9-15) 7:16
13. I Need Somebody To Lean On (takes 16-19) 5:12
14. Do The Vega (takes 3-7/M) 4:25
15. Viva Las Vegas (takes 3-7/M) 5:06
16. The Climb (take 8) 2:53
17. The Climb (take 9) 2:53
18. C’mon Everybody (takes 6-7/M, movie version) 2:34
19. The Lady Loves Me (takes 7-9) 6:37
20. You’re The Boss (takes 11-12) 3:23
21. You’re The Boss (takes 13, 15 & 14) 4:09
22. Santa Lucia (vocal overdub, take 5) 1:26
23. Today, Tomorrow And Forever (movie version, 2016 vocal overdub take 10/M) 2:46
Very good. Let´s do this with all the other soundtracks and non soundtrack albums. Let´s go, Ernst & co !
Every other complete session box from any other artist that i know has the recordings in chronological order, and that alone makes sense, because you can hear how the songs developed. Why on earth must ernst change that. Like on the jailhouse rock / g.i.blues sets you can't really follow the sessions, unless you make your own tracklist.
Yes, one can argue, that ftd makes this to make the set more listenable. But honestly, this isn't made for a pleasant listen in the background. I really don't get it. A typical Ernst-can't-concept-release. He never could do it right, he still can't and he never will. Sad.
I'm still going to buy this, but I'm disappointed, because the tracklist of the set was a no brainer, really.
Very interesting and absolutely great to do that. The complete Viva Las Vegas Sessions in a 3 CD Box is really outstanding. Wow. A lot of unreleased takes we can hear soon. Great. I can understand atomic powered poste with the chronological order. I am thinking often/nearly the same, but for the listening pleasure it is more than ok and you can listen to it in the background. This Box is for the FTD Team a new concept project to see if it will work. I really hope it will and sell well. Other soundtracks and the non soundtrack albums could be follow. But some classic albums are still missing. Ernst, please don‘t forget them. So let‘s go ...
Jesus Oliver, what can be on the three albums, surely nothing unreleased !? Okay, for the sake to release all original albums but nothing else. A bit boring, no very boring. I just can´t think of any unreleased stuff for the three albums.
The only reason I'm buying this release is Disc one. I'm expecting the soundtrack and bonus songs will be in excellent sound (finally). The rest of what's on the remaining discs I don't care about.
This is ridiculous! The same crap over and over and now FTD wants to do it again for a third time I believe? Don't think so. They're toast; nothing new here except more money in FTD's pocket. I'm done.
Does anyone want my previous 20 or so different versions I have of these tracks?! How about it FTD? Only then will I buy this (hopefully) definitive version.
Well Cruiser621, your words the same crap, nothing new here is a little bit strange in my eyes. Nothing new, here you will get the complete session with over 1 hour unreleased stuff. Crap, this is your opinion and it is Ok. If you don‘t want or collect complete sessions, or simply don‘t need more unreleased takes it is also Ok. But same crap over and over ... I am looking forward with the box. Hope the sound will be very good without any clicks or something. Let‘s see ...
Since I always preferred the masters from ‚The Complete E.P. Masters’ box over the FTD release, I hope we just get the best mix now from the 3-track-tapes.
Also I hope for no clicks, no echo, no (early) fades. And to make it complete I would have expected the original mono masters, but they are not here ….
IMHO this is a real 'dreams come true' release. And I'm sure there's no reason to complain. It's a matter of everyone's free choice to buy or not to buy it. For me this fantastic release is a must have. I hope the next one will be the complete session of Fun in Acapulco with those wonderful vocals delivered by Elvis.
This looks interesting to me so i'll get it. It does open possibilities for other releases. An American 69 set would be great, the same for a '70 and/or '71 studio set.
it seems interesting to me except the order of the songs of the 1st cd should be that of the sessions and not the film and the complete takes should be separated from false starts so as not to be forced to undergo several false starts before listening complete take in some cases. The same concept would be interesting for the sessions of Fun in Acapulco, Memphis '69, Nashville '70, '71, Today..., I am also waiting for classic camden Flaming star, almost in love and let's be friends, in concert '77 ...the four on tour '72 concerts recorded ...