The Righteous Brothers' global hit "Unchained Melody"' has been named the most popular song of all time down under in Australia. The recording beat the likes on ABBA, the Beatles and Elvis Presley, in the list of the Top 1000 Most Popular Songs, as voted by the listeners of Brisbane radio station 882 4BH.
The second most popular song of all time title went to John Lennon's 'Imagine,' while the third spot was secured by 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' by Simon and Garfunkel. Louis Armstrong's 'What A Wonderful World' was voted the fourth best song, while ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' came fifth.
Elvis Presley's 'Love Me Tender,' Bette Midler's 'Rose,' Roy Orbison's 'Pretty Woman,' Beatles' 'Yesterday,' and Midler's 'Wind Beneath My Wings' rounded off the top ten.
The top 6 Most Popular Songs were:
1. Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers.
2. Imagine - John Lennon
3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
4. What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
5. Dancing Queen - ABBA
6. Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
The Australian radio station throws the topic open every year to its listeners. Program manager Geoff Harrison said the radio stations takes "thousands" of votes from listeners over a three-week period. "It takes about two weeks - or 10 days - to play the top 1000 songs".
New York Radio Station WCBS-FM meanwhile voted three Elvis songs into their Love Songs chart Top Ten. The Righteous Brothers was also their most popular Love Song.
The top 10 Most Popular Love Songs were:
1. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
2. Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
3. I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
4. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli
5. Just The Way You Are - Billy Joel
6. The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley
7. My Girl - The Temptations
8. All My Loving - The Beatles
9. Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
10. Always & Forever - Heatwave
Source: Various / Updated: Feb 16, 2008