Soon there will be even more to see at Graceland. From Friday, November 21, 2008 to Sunday, January 11, 2009, visitors will have the opportunity to view rarely-seen artifacts throughout the tour. Included will be items from Elvis' personal wardrobe collection, home movie footage, guitars from Elvis' personal collection, gifts given to Elvis by friends and family and lots more.
Here is a sneak peak at just a few of the items.
Elvis' Personal Wardrobe Collection
Elvis’ sense of personal style and his love of fashion is an important part of who he was and why you can still feel his impact in trends today. Rare items on display for this limited-time only include:
• The shirt worn in “That's the Way It Is” while reading telegrams back stage
• The shirt worn Christmas morning which appears in photos of Elvis, Linda Thompson and Lisa Marie
• The two-piece suits made by IC Costume Company in 1968
• The outfit worn at The Las Vegas Hilton while signing autographs in 1970
Home Movie Footage
Lisa Marie spent many Christmas’ at Graceland opening presents and playing with her toys. Step back in time and experience the holidays with the Presley’s through their home movies including Lisa's first Christmas which was spend, of course, at Graceland.
At Graceland, Christmas was a family affair. Not only did his father, Vernon Presley, dress like Santa to entertain the family, he would organize and keep all the gifts and cards sent to Elvis during the holidays in his office. During the holidays this year, on display in Vernon’s office will be an assortment of cards and gifts sent to Elvis by fans through the years.
Guitars from Elvis's Personal Collection
Elvis owned multiple guitars throughout his life and career. Many can be seen in his photographs and films, and now, these famous instruments can be seen at Graceland during the special holiday display which will include:
• 1956 Gibson J200
• White Fender Bass
• Black Gibson J200
• Fender acoustic
Gifts given to Elvis by Friends and Family
Perhaps because he loved giving gifts so often, we don’t hear as much about the gifts given to Elvis. This year, visitors to Graceland will be treated to an assortment of items that were given to Elvis by others. Included will be:
• A cigarette case the plays the song "Surrender", which was the 1st Christmas gift Priscilla gave Elvis here at Graceland
• A portable TV Elvis purchased by Gladys for the Christmas of 1957.
• Bible given to Elvis for Christmas from his entourage
• Black faux fur outfit which was a gift from Priscilla