Graceland mansion, a National Historic Landmark, celebrates 70 years in 2009. The Colonial style mansion, built in 1939 by a prominent Memphis family, was later sold to Elvis Presley in 1957 for $102,000.
In celebration of the 70th anniversary of Graceland, a special exhibit will open on January 6, 2009, as part of the Graceland VIP Tour that will include documents, artifacts, videos and more about this historic home.
The Graceland 70th anniversary special exhibit will feature:
- The original architectural drawing of Graceland
- The deed to Graceland
- A signed check from Elvis and the canceled check for the down payment on the home
- Receipt for famous Graceland gates
- Receipt for lions at front steps
- Receipt for swimming pool
- Artist's rendering of mansion prior to construction
- Bills for redecorating fees from Golden's Interiors, who decorated the mansion when the Presley's moved into the home in 1957
- Videos of Virginia Grant, Priscilla Presley and others talking about Graceland
- and more