"Smooth," the 1999 single by Santana featuring Rob Thomas, is the No. 1 song of the rock era based on chart performance on Billboard's Hot 100, according to a new book written by Billboard and Billboard.com Chart Beat columnist, Fred Bronson. The third edition of "Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits" includes a list of the top 5,000 songs of the rock era. The list is based on an inverse point system applied to Billboard's pop singles charts from July 1955 to June 2002. The top 40 on the Billboard site is dominated by releases from the nineties until now. Elvis' 1956 hit 'Don't be Cruel / Hound Dog' is the first track not from the nineties at # 14.
The Top 5:
1. "Smooth," Santana featuring Rob Thomas (1999)
2. "Un-Break My Heart," Toni Braxton (1996)
3. "Macarena" (Bayside Boys Mix), Los del Rio (1996)
4. "One Sweet Day," Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men (1995)
5. "I'll Make Love to You," Boyz II Men (1994)