Elvis' love of sandwiches has landed The King at the top of a bizarre new Rock Star Extravagances poll. The tragic rocker's 1976 trip to Denver, Colorado to pick up 22 Fool's Gold sandwiches (peanut butter, jelly and bacon) cost Presley an estimated $3,387 (GBP1,880). The trip has put Presley at the top of Maxim magazine's new Dumbest Rock Star Extravagances list.
Blender's Clark Collis explains that Presley's sandwich stop isn't the largest sum of money spent on an item by a rocker on the new list, but it is the most bizarre. He says, "He spent the money on sandwiches, so hats off to him." The top five bizarre celebrity whims on the new list are:
1. Elvis Presley flies to Colorado to pick up sandwiches (1976).
2. Michael Jackson paid pal Marlon Brando $1 million to appear briefly at his 30th Anniversary concert on the eve of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001.
3. The Beatles' one-time Apple Corps employee 'Magic' Alex once earned $510,000 in a year by coming up with a number of zany inventions that didn't work. He was fired.
4. Mick Fleetwood estimates he has spent $8 million (GBP4.4 million) on cocaine.
5. Elton John's admission he once spent over $410,000 on flowers in 1996 and 1997.
Source: Google / Updated: Nov 23, 2005